Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Daylight Savings

I had a b-e-a-uuuu-tiful day yesterday, a day filled with beauty and laughter, flowers and friends.

We went to the botanical garden for the Tulip Fest and we took heaps of photos. The tulips were absolutely stunning, but what i treasured more was the time with friends, this time with some of the housemates from the front house. It was a good time getting to know more about each other, and just enjoying ourselves and enjoy being ourselves.

We had a steamboat dinner and then later on, we walked to the casino for free hot chocolate! The guard did NOT ask for my ID this time! Simon asked whether i was disappointed, i actually felt rather proud of myself! haha!

It was sort of the last dash to have all the fun we could before we had to start preparing for our finals.

But, fun for me did not stop just there yet. We had a barbeque after church this afternoon at 64 Anglesea St, our new church building and it is ours now! yippee! Praise the Lord for the smooth transaction and His hand upon us all this time! The sun was out, the children were playing, we sat on picnic mats, chatting and laughing, having sausages, bread, burger and cupcakes! i'm feeling very berry blessed! =)

I mentioned about a lady who was very much part of our church, who passed away the other day? Her husband preached at our church today. And i wondered, and i wondered.. What is it in him that enables him to preach and joke and laugh and be naughty in the midst of such grief? And the children? They were praising and singing loudly and shouting out 'God is good, touch this place, Lord, stir up a fire..'

I'm not even sure whether i'd be able to come out of my moaning and groaning, my sadness and self-pity if i were any of her family members, let alone still preach, and sing and cheer others on. I'd think that i have every right to stay angry, stay sad and be mean because i am terribly hurt. I'm already discontented enough to be complaining about the little bit of sadness that's sitting in my heart, the little bit of discomfort of reaching out my hand to a friend, the little bit of unhappiness about petty little things...

Wow, that really blew me away! I mean, it's not just a cat, not a job, not even a friend.. she was a wife and a mother. I'm sure that just as they are still celebrating life, they are still feeling the lost of someone dearest to them but it's just the fact that they are not letting anything stop them from praising God and giving thanks to Him that inspires and amazes me. God is still good, God is still good.. in the midst..

After the alter call, Tim, who preached, asked us who came up for the alter call to pray for the rest of the people who still wanted to come up. Immediately i felt like a hermit crab, ready to snug behind my shell and say, Yes, that's something great but that's not for me. Nope, i'm not ready.

But something in me made me feel otherwise. Tim has just preached that 'I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me.' We all know that verse really well, don't we? We can memorise it inside out, upside down, front to back and back to front. But today, i got it. And i believe it. I believe now that what He has set my hands on to, i will be able to do it thru His strength. I will not shrink back.

I would like to also add what Chuck Pierce said about this verse, that it also means we can do all seasons, good or bad thru Christ who strengthens me. Not just 'things' but 'seasons' as well. We can do ALL seasons, any season in life, tough seasons or smooth-sailing seasons the same, we can do it thru Christ who strengthens us.

I'm still slowly wiggling through 'Gifted Hands' by Ben Carson and what really humbles me is his attitude and his neverending passion to learn more. His mother has taught him that people are just people, and everyone's the same. Being black, he has learnt it the hard way. He hasn't always been treated the same, yet that is what he does. It's something like overcoming evil with good, i would think. :D

I would like to reproduce a short paragraph or two from his book here, and hope it inspires you too! =)

Today i try to emphasize this point when i speak to young people. "There isn't anybody in the world who isn't worth something," i say. "If you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you. The same people you meet on the way up are the same kind of people you meet on the way down. Besides that, every person you meet is one of God's children."

I truly believe that being a successful neurosurgeon doesn't mean I'm better than anybody else. It means that I'm fortunate because God gave me the talent to do this job well. I also believe that what talents i have i need to be willing to share with others.

I'm 3 hours away from home now but it also means i've more time to play outside! =)

Have a good week ahead everyone!

Lord, increase in me, diligence and boldness..

No comments: