25 June 2010
I did dispensing for 3 other nursing homes today and I am quite satisfied with what I’ve done. When the pharmacist asked me if I wanted to do that today, I happily said yes. However, she insisted I must find out about the drugs that I am not familiar with and spend some time doing that rather than just dispensing medications without knowing how they work. I am actually quite touched by how they try and organise activities for me to get most out of my learning experience here rather than having me work for them.
When the pharmacist told me I’ll be in the front for the afternoon, to see if I get to counsel customers regarding cough and cold preparations, antihistamines or analgesics, I was terrified. We both know it is very important for a pharmacist to be able to do that but I was nervous because that is my greatest struggle. There are too many products available that I don’t know what to do when someone asks for a recommendation. I had a short lunch and got back to the pharmacy to study the AMH about such preparations and went to the counter and have a good look at the products available. I tried to absorb as much as I could but obviously, I’d need more time than just one short afternoon.
We’re all not too sure why but the pharmacy was unusually busy this afternoon. It was raining quite heavily but customers keep coming in one after another, so we were all kept quite busy serving customers. One customer asked me whether I know anything about mouth ulcers, so I asked him a few questions like how long has it been there, what is he using and how did he find it. He told me he’s got false teeth and they are causing him the ulcers. He is using Kenalog and a mouthwash but they are not of any help. He has also used Bonjela before but to no avail. I gathered he has tried most of the products and he has had it for a few weeks already, so I thought I’d just ask him to go to the doctor. When he asked me what stronger medications the doctor can give him, I said he might be able to give you something for the pain. He must have thought that it won’t be worth the effort going to doctor if it’s only for pain relief, so he disregarded the suggestion. What I should have done was to tell him that a visit to the doctor is also important to rule out anything more serious. But then again, if it’s the false teeth that are causing the problem, he should maybe consult his dentist.
Someone asked about Nurofen plus, so I asked the pharmacist. The pharmacist taught me a few questions to ask the customer before supplying it. The customer then told me that it’s actually for her sister and her sister doesn’t want anything that has codeine because she thinks it makes her vomit. I couldn’t think of anything stronger than preparations that have codeine so again I asked the pharmacist. The pharmacist suggested taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for short term pain relief, so I told that to the customer and she was happy to take that advice. That was certainly something new that I’ve learnt today.
I also overheard a pharmacist assistant telling a customer not to take more than 8 tablets of Panamax a day, and I thought that is something I should remember as well. I know all these things, but I lack the experience. Seeing what others do, helps me put my head knowledge into true understanding.
One lady carrying a cute little 3 month old boy came in with a script for Kenacomb Otic Ear Drops. She asked whether it is ok to use it during breastfeeding, so I told her I’d check with the pharmacist. The pharmacist told me to look it up in the breastfeeding book, so I looked up all the ingredients which were Triamcinolone, Gramicidin, Nystatin and Neomycin. All of them may be used in breastfeeding, and the pharmacist also said because it’s used topically on a very small surface area, it should be fine. The pharmacist gave me the opportunity to counsel this patient as well, but she talked me through it before that. So I told the lady to keep the drops in the fridge, and that she may want to warm the bottle with her hands before use because cold drops may hurt a bit. She should also lie down for a while after putting in the drops to let it absorb.
I also counseled a patient on Augmentin again today, and I was much more confident this time. Counselling is not as scary as I thought anymore. And I am truly grateful to the pharmacists at Terry White Bairnsdale who gave me the courage and assurance that I can do it.
It will soon be my last week here. It’s funny how I’m starting to miss this place already. If someone asked me whether I would recommend Bairnsdale for placement, my answer would be YES for sure. And I highly recommend Terry White Chemists Bairnsdale. I have learnt so much there. All the pharmacists there are not only very knowledgeable, but they are also so willing to teach and train you to be a good pharmacist. They always put customers first. Yes, the more scripts done the better but what impresses and inspires me the most is that they constantly try to improve themselves and always find ways to put themselves ahead of the game.
The other thing I like about Bairnsdale is the accommodation. Traveller’s Rest Motel is a very comfortable place with incredible hosts. They borrowed us a microwave, iron and ironing board, can opener and other stuff so that our stay here is as comfortable as possible. They also help wash and dry our clothes, sometimes turn on the heater for us before we’re home and talk to us almost everyday just to ask if we’re alright. I feel very blessed by them.
However, this whole placement here wouldn’t have been the same without great company. Thanks Maria, for making my stay here unforgettable!
Weekend! WooHoo!
p/s maria and i went to Lakes Entrance yesterday. It was a very beautiful place from the lookout but unfortunately it was too cold and windy that we couldn't walk to the lookout from where the bus dropped us. We shared a king's cone with 3 scoops of ice cream, soft serve and nuts. It was a little too much for us though. :p we also shared a silver award beef and burgundy pie. We took pictures at the footbridge and walked on the stones to get down to the beach. We went into a few shops and some of the shop names are quite funny, Pinocchio Inn, Funky Monkey, etc. I had a good time, away from all the work.
Today i went to the St. John's anglican church. I felt very welcome and at home, since i grew up in an anglican church. The visiting speaker talked about doing mission work locally, among the bush people. And i was reminded of how we can reach out even to those in our own community. I was pondering about love today and once again, i am convinced that one who is loved much, loves and one who is hurt much, hurts. And i felt a deep assurance in my heart today that God will take good care of me no matter where i am. Placing my life in Your hands is the best decision i have ever made. I am such a blessed child!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment