Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blogposts from pebblepad: 2 creams in a day!

16 June 2010

It was another exciting day at the pharmacy today.

I am more confident in using the till now, in approaching customers and serving them. I have also become more familiar the NDSS programme (national diabetes services scheme)and was introduced to some other schemes as well such as the QUMAX.

The pharmacy owner told me it is very important to familiarise myself with how scripts are received and given out at the end of our service to the customer. After working there for 2 days, I couldn't agree more and i'm thankful that he has placed me there. Actually, I have overcome one of my greatest fears just by being placed there and that is to talk to customers, approach them and serve them. I am very shy and i have always preferred to be at the back, not having to deal with customers. However, just by being at the front, i was given the opportunity to learn from the best pharmacy assistants, some having worked there for 8 years already, Within a few days, i am a much more confident person.

I also had the opportunity to make up 2 creams today, one was Salicylic Acid 10% and Olive Oil 2% in aqueous cream and the other was just Olive Oil 5% aqueous cream. I wasn't taught at uni to 'wet' the powder ingredients first so it was something i learnt today but i'm very glad that my compounding skills learnt at uni has made me proud. I managed to make up 2 well-presented creams for my preceptor.

I was curious to know why a patient was on 5 antibiotics at one time and she wanted them dispensed all at once, so i asked the pharmacist. He knew the customer very well so he asked her straight away. I was abit embarrassed but it was satisfying to have know the answer. She said it was for itchy legs but we all didn't really know how it was going to work.

A lot of people have been coming in for flu and cold medicines, i guess it's the changing weather. I will try and familiarise myself with what is behind the counter so that i can recommend some OTC medications to the customers myself, without needing much help from the pharmacist or the pharmacy assistants.

Looking forward to another full day at the pharmacy tomorrow!

No comments: